|Sixth Annual Oyster Cook-off brings together celebrity chefs from across the country|
October 19, 2013, Gulf Shores, AL (GSA) – Staged annually on the white sands of the Alabama coastline in the heart of the Gulf Coast, this year’s Oyster Cook-off will bring together celebrity chefs from across the U.S. as well as a long list of well-known Gulf coast restaurateurs.
Set for Saturday, Nov. 9, the event is presented by Alabama Gulf Seafood and hosted by The Hangout.
“We are taking the Oyster Cook-off to a whole new level this year to make it a premier, national event,” event organizer and owner of The Hangout Shaul Zislin said. “This event has developed a name for itself in the culinary community over the last five years, and we have been able to take that reputation and use it to recruit some of the best chefs in the country to come cook the Gulf’s finest treasures, oysters, this November.”
In addition to competing for a chance to win combined total prizes of $10,000, chefs will make their original oyster recipes available to food fanatics and oyster connoisseurs who attend the cook-off. Entry is free, and tasting tickets will be sold for $2 each or $30 for a book of 20 tickets. The Hangout will provide fresh Alabama Gulf Seafood oysters to the chefs for the competition and tastings.
The list of celebrity chefs include:
• “Food Network Star” Season 8 finalist Chef Ippy Aiona of Hawaii, owner of two Hawaiian restaurants who was recently recognized as one of Forbes’ Top 30 Under 30 Chefs;
• Fellow Season 8 finalist Chef Linkie Marais who started her career as a pastry chef in Mississippi and now lives in Massachusetts and hosts her own show “Living Linkie Style”;
• “Rebel Chef” Terry French, winner of Food Network’s “Extreme Chef” who runs a catering company in Egg Harbor Township, N.J.;
• Michael Colletti, Iron Chef and contestant and chef/owner of VB3 Restaurant in Jersey City, N.J.;James Beard Award semi-finalist, “Food Network Star” Season 9 finalist
• Chef Viet Pham, who was named one of Food and Wine’s Best New Chefs in 2011 and is currently working on a new restaurant project in Park City, Utah;
• Alabama’s own Chef Martie Duncan, an entertaining expert & food blogger in Birmingham who was a runner-up on “Food Network Star” season 8 and who has competed in the Oyster Cook-off in previous years.
• And Justin Devillier, executive chef/owner of La Petite Grocery in New Orleans and two-time James Beard finalist who can be seen on the current season of Bravo’s Top Chef: New Orleans, which airs every Wednesday, 10/9c.
Duncan worked closely with organizers of the Oyster Cook-off to help recruit chefs for this year’s event.
“The Oyster Cook-off is a dream event for anyone who loves oysters, and we are taking them to a new level this year,” Duncan said. “We’ve got some of the most inspired chefs in the country coming in to prepare Gulf oysters their way-but we will also see variations on the classics, too. I love our Alabama beaches in the fall. It is my favorite time to be there. Add world-class chefs and Gulf oysters... well, it just doesn’t get much better than that.”
In addition to the celebrity chefs, 70+ notable chefs and restaurants from the region be participating in the event including:
• From Georgia, The Optimist, Salt Factory Pub, Fox Bros BBQ, Red Pepper Taqueria, Rosebud, Hammock Trading Company
• From New Orleans, Le Petite Grocery, Acme Oyster House and Hilton Riverside New Orleans Drago's
• From Alabama, TRUE, State of Alabama Executive Chef and 2011 Great American Seafood Cook-Off Champion, Cotton Row Restaurant, Wind Creek Casino, and Dixie Fish Company
• From Mississippi, 2013 Great American Seafood Cook-Off Champion David Crews, executive chef of Six Shooter Land and Timber.
Chefs who are inspired to join the competition must register by Oct. 18 on the event website, www.thehangout.com/oyster-cook-off/.
The 6th Annual Oyster Cook-Off will be Saturday, Nov. 9 at The Hangout, located at 101 E. Beach Blvd. in Gulf Shores. The official start time will be 11 a.m. In addition to oyster tastings, patrons can enjoy live music by Mulligan Brothers, Kristy Lee and Banditos on the WKRG stage, cooking demos on Dean McCrary’s Audi stage, the Absolut Bloody Mary Buffett with Zing Zang, football viewing lounges and oyster shucking contests.
Kick off Oyster Cook-Off weekend with a pre-party at the Hangout Friday, Nov. 8 with The Mulligan Brothers from 7:30-9 p.m. and Banditos from 9:30-11 p.m.
Other sponsors of the 6th Annual Oyster Cook-Off include Yuengling Traditional Lager, Abita, Smirnoff, Kim Crawford Winery, Veuve Clicquot, Crystal Hot Sauce, Spectrum Resorts, Brett/Robinson Vacations, Staybridge Suites, 95 KSJ, Meyer Vacation Rentals and Kaiser Realty by Wyndam Vacation Rentals, Leroy Hill Coffee and Mobile Fixture.